In Victoria, curfew has been imposed and lockdown extended for a further two weeks after 22 new cases were recorded overnight. The announcement means the state’s students will now learn from home until 2 September.
As of 11.59pm on Monday evening, a total curfew will be in effect, requiring the state's residents to remain indoors from 9pm to 5am each day that the restrictions remain in place.
Playgrounds, basketball courts, skate parks and outdoors exercise equipment will be closed off to the public – a decision that Premier Dan Andrews says is necessary due to the high number of children becoming infected with the virus.
"These restrictions are hard work for every Victorian. Everyone wants this pandemic to be over, but the rules are in place for a reason," Premier Dan Andrews said.
"We know they work and if we follow them together, we'll be able to lift them sooner."
So far, 16 of the state’s schools have been closed as a result of the latest outbreak.
Most of the cases are linked to the outbreak at Al-Taqwa College in Truganina, which has so far led to ten people testing positive to the virus. Six of the new cases are linked to Glenroy West Primary School, where seven students and a casual contact have tested positive.
Other schools that have closed as a result of the outbreak include Ilim College’s Broadmeadows and Dallas campuses, Corpus Christi School in Glenroy, Warringa Park School, Bacchus Marsh Grammar, Christ the Priest in Caroline Springs, Debney Meadows Primary School and Mount Alexander College.
Victoria Health has also confirmed that St Michael’s Primary School in North Melbourne will be non-operational after a student from the school tested positive. Three international schools in Caroline Springs, Coburg and North Coburg will also be closed for deep cleaning and contact tracing.